Saturday, February 03, 2007

This is Why I am CookBad

fuckin fuck!

My evil oven tried to eat my dinner itself. This was just after my evil knife tried to eat part of my finger.

Mushroom Shepherd's Pie
Filling
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 carrot, peeled and diced
2 stalks of celery, diced
1 teaspoon sage
1 teaspoon tellicherry pepper ground or regular ground black pepper
12 oz. mushrooms, your choice roughly chopped
if you have any tomatoes laying around chop them up
5 oz. frozen peas
1/2 red wine or vegi stock
tablespoon of corn starch
couple shakes of worcestershire sauce
salt or liquid amino to taste

Topping
approx. 2-3 cups of white potatoes, I am using red because that is what I have on hand. You could also use cauliflower, parsnips or rutabega in place of potatoes.
garlic salt
earth balance margarine, or one that is trans-fat free
couple shakes of worcestershire sauce

In a large cast iron pan add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Cook the garlic, onions, carrots and celery until onions are translucent. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, sage, tellicherry, and salt. Cook this mixture down until all liquid is gone and brown stuff start to stick to the pan. Add half the red wine to deglaze. Repeat with second half of wine. Cook 2 more minutes. Add a couple of shakes of worcestershire sauce, the corn starch, turn off heat and stir.

Boil a bunch of potatoes. Whip them with garlic salt, butter (or better earth balance spread), worcestershire sauce and ground black pepper. Whip them. I used a food processor.

Put pie filling (mushroom stuff) in a pie pan. Pour the whipped potatoes on top and gently spread them evenly to cover all the pie filling.

Bake at 350 for 25 minutes.

Serves 4 or 5

I spent a good hour chopping and hatching my plan for how to make a wonderful hearty hepherd's Pie without any meat or dairy. It would have been delicious. I know this because I tasted the filling and I tasted the delicious whipped potato topping. It was when the oven got involved problems started. As usual, it started smoking, so I look the pie out of the oven and decided to use my trusty broiler instead. That is when I dropped the pie.

I wept.

Then I decided to say hell with it and have a liquid dinner.

No comments: