Thursday, February 01, 2007

Egg and Chorizo Taco with Plantains, Black Beans and Avocados

nice breakfast taco
recipe #163, 164

I made this for a late breakfast this morning. The original recipe calls for cheese, but I skipped it. From the Cafe Pongo Cookbook:

Egg and Chorizo Taco with Plantains, Black Beans and Avocados
Plantains:
2 cups vegetable, peanut or canola oil
3 to 4 ripe plantains
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp hot sauce
1/2 cup water

Tacos:
2 tbsp butter (I used olive oil)
8-12 eggs, lightly beaten (I used egg whites)
1 pound chorizo
8-12 corn tortillas
2 to 3 cups jack cheese (I skipped this)
4 cups of black beans (recipe for those below)
2 ripe avocados

Heat oil in a cast iron pan. Peel and cut plantains into 1 in. pieces. Mix the garlic, hot sauce and water. Dip plantains into mixture and then fry until golden brown. Dry them on paper towel.

Scramble up eggs and chorizo together.

On a griddle or heavy skittle over med. heat lay down tortillas and sprinkle cheese. Spoon on the scrambled eggs. Fold tortillas over and cook until the cheese is melted and tortillas are golden brown.

Arrange plantains, avocados and a dollop of beans on a place with the tacos. The cookbook suggests to crumble feta cheese over all of it. I used cilantro.

This was a nice breakfast even without the cheese. I'm trying to cut out all dairy--shocking- and Knowing that I can still enjoy a bean egg breakfast without a layer of cheese is reassuring.

Note on plantain freshness: I was under the impression that you could use a plantain even when the skin is all black. Not true, I guess. I think that the one that I used had turned. It had an almost fermented flavor to it. Not so awesome.

Here is a recipe for black bean sthat is repeatedly referenced in The Cafe Pongo Cookbook. Before I tried this recipe I would use goya black bean soup when a recipe would call for black beans. These are better.

Santa Fe Black Beans
1 large spanish onion, minced
1 garlic bulb, minced
2 tablespoon olive oil
10 cups of cooked black beans, drained and rinsed if canned
enough burgundy to completely cover the beans
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons mexican oregano
2 tablespoons salt
1/4 cup of durkee's hot sauce
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

In a large heavy pot over med. heat saute the onion and garlic until translucent.

Add all remaining ingredient except the balsamic vinegar. Stir and cook to a slow rolling boil covered for 30-40 minutes. Stir in vinegar and simmer for 15 more minutes.

No comments: