Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Everything I cook recently looks awful.

looks gross, tastes pretty good

recipe # 169

I wasn't even trying to make this look disgusting.

This is the most involved and preparations heavy recipe that I found for a tofu breakfast scramble. Not surprisingly I found it in the cafe pongo cookbook. If you follow this recipe exactly, you should start this recipe 2 days before you intend to eat it.

Here is the recipe:
Pongo's Special Scrambled Tofu Hash
2 pounds of extra firm tofu cut into 1/2 inch cubes
2 cups olive oil
3/4 cups mushrooms marinated in 1/4 cup Cafe Pongo House Dressing (recipe below) or just use any old balsamic based dressing. Marinate for 2 days.
1/2 cup caramelized onions
1/2 cup roasted red pepper strips
3/4 cup Santa Fe black beans ( I used some refried black beans) recipe for that here http://cookbad.blogspot.com/2007/02/egg-and-chorizo-taco-with-plantains.html
salt and cracked pepper to taste

In a heavy skillet over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the tofu and brown it on all sides. Drain the tofu on paper towels (I use newspaper), then pour off the oil in the pan. Return the tofu to the pan with all the remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat until warmed all the way thru. Serve wrapped in warm tortillas or with toasted grain bread.

Cafe Pongo House Salad Dressing
1/4 cup balsamic
3 tablespoons sugar (I cut this in half)
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

combine all but the olive oil with a hand blender. With blender still running slowly add the olive oil.


It is really much better than it looks. My husband and I dressed it up with avocado and salsa after I took that terrible picture. We had them on wheat free tortillas. I had it two mornings in a row, so I must have liked it. It is really hearty for something wheat, dairy and egg free.

No comments: