Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Chorizo Hash with Peppers and Paprika


Chorizo Hash with peppers and Paprika
5oz/150g chorizo
1 small red pepper
1 rounded tsp hot paprika
1 medium onion
10oz/275g potatoes
3 tbsp olive oil
1 large clove of garlic, peeled, and crushed
2 large very fresh eggs

Peel the onion and slice in half then slice as thin as you can into half-moon shapes. Halve and deseed the pepper then cut into 1/2 inch chunks. Peel the skin off the chorizo and cut to the same size as the pepper. Wash the potatoes and cut into 1/2 inch cubes leaving the skin on.
Place the potatoes in a saucepan and pour in boiling water to almost cover them. Add salt and a lid and simmer for 5 min before draining them in a colander and covering with a tea towel to absorb the steam.
Heat 2 tbs oil in a heavy based pan, add the onion, pepper, and garlic and cook for about 6 min. Push it all to the side of the pan and add the chorizo, and cook for about 2 min. Add the paprika and stir everything around, then remove it all to a plate. Add the last tbsp of oil to the pan and keeping the heat high add the potatoes and some salt and pepper. Toss them around for about 3 min, keeping them moving. Add back the pepper mixture and cook for another 5- 6 min, turning the mixture as it cooks.
Fry the eggs to serve with the hash.

Hey Cookbad, I was inspired by your Red Flannel Salmon Hash and decided to try a hash recipe of my own. I was never a big fan of corned beef hash, but then, I had only ever had that kind that comes from a can and tastes like a salt lick. I found this recipe in a Delia Smith cookbook. I love chorizo, and they happened to have some for cheap at the supermarket this weekend, so there you go.

I realized at the last minute that all I had in the house was regular (not hot) paprika, so I just used that. In the future I would definitely make a point of using the right kind, or maybe adding some cayenne pepper. It’s a little tough for me because I love spicy, but my husband and kids are not such big fans. Even without the spicy, this had a lovely flavor. We had it for dinner not breakfast, I think it would be a little heavy early in the morning, but would make a very nice brunch.

tags technorati :

1 comment:

CookBad said...

I've got another hash recipe that I'm going to make in a few weeks. I need some left over roast beef to make it.