Sunday, February 25, 2007

Huevos A La Flamenca (Colorful Baked Eggs)

I love Spanish food, but for some reason, when I make it myself, it comes out less then remarkable. Here’s my latest attempt…

Pretty, but not great...


Huevos A La Flamenca
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
4 Tbsp olive oil
100g/4oz either Chorizo, spicy sausage, gammon, or bacon
2 red or green peppers, chopped
350g/12oz either ripe tomatoes, without skin or seeds or 300g/10oz canned tomatoes with juice
100g/4oz peas
100g/4oz French beans, snapped into short lengths
8 large eggs
1-2 Tbsp Fino or Sherry
Salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper

Heat to 180c/350f, and warm a shallow casserole or baking dish
In a frying pan, heat the oil, and soften the onion slowly. Add the garlic and push to the sides of the pan. Add the meat, cook till colored, then remove to a plate. Add peppers and tomatoes and cook to reduce, stirring occasionally. Add some sherry if the mixture gets to dry. Cook the peas and beans and add them too.
Transfer the vegetable mix to the casserole, and distribute the meat. Swirl the eggs together with a fork, without over mixing. Season with the salt and cayenne, pour over the veg and meat, and bake 10-15 minutes, till the eggs are set
.

From a book called “Recipes From A Spanish Village

These came out so pretty, but I have to say, they left me a little cold. Then again I guess that wasn’t really the recipe’s fault. I couldn’t afford Chorizo this week, so I used the bacon instead. I also had to leave out the cayenne because of the boys. It was nice, but nothing terribly special.

I like the idea, and I think you could probably use it as a way to use up whatever you have left in your fridge at the end of the week. I might make it again with various left overs.

No comments: