Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Brown Soda Bread

This bread is my friend. I love this bread. It practically speaks to me.

450g/1lb wholemeal (wholewheat) flour
or 340g/12oz wholemeal flour and 110g/4oz plain flour
1tsp salt
1tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp sugar
20g/3/4oz butter
290-435ml/1/2 –3/4 pint skimmed milk
If you are using all wholemeal flour then you will need the larger amount of liquid

Preheat to 190c/375f
Sift the dry ingredients into a dry warm bowl
Rub in the butter and mix to a soft dough with the milk
Shape with a minimum of kneading into a large circle, and use a wooden spoon handle to make a cross shaped indentation in the top
Bake on a greased sheet for 25-30 min, and allow to cool on a wire rack

I varied only slightly from the recipe. I have a sifter, but frankly can’t be bothered. I do make an effort to use my wire whisk to mix dry ingredients, it mixes them really well, and adds a bit of air to them too. I also use soy milk instead of regular or skimmed. It’s the kind of milk we keep in the house, and again, I can’t be bothered to make a special milk run. This is true of all the things I bake, and it’s never given me a problem.


I made this today for the first time. It’s a quick bread (no yeast, no raising or heavy kneading). I meant for it to last a couple of days, but we accidentally ate the whole loaf in one sitting. It was that good. In the words of my husband “It touched our souls”.

It was from a cookbook called “Leith’s Healthy Cooking

tags technorati :

No comments: