Thursday, August 03, 2006

Panzanella

Part of the reason I am able to make a different meal everyday--actually more why I have been inspired to do so is because a Fairway opened in Brooklyn. Fairway is the greatest grocery store ever (Trader Joe's is a close second--but fairway has an amazing produce section and is HUGE). They have an insane bakery. I have been buying the most enourmous ciabatta breads. They are the size of pillows. I cut them up and freeze them. Also, I thought this looked great too.

It is a mixture of a few different sources.

3/4 pound day-old crusty peasant-style whole-grain bread, cut into 1-inch cubes (about 6 cups)
2 large tomatoes (about 1 pound), trimmed and each cut into 8 wedges
3/4 cup sliced unwaxed cucumber
1/2 cup sliced red onion
your favorite vinegrette
10 fresh basil leaves, shredded
2 tbsp. parmasian cheese
freshly ground black pepper

1. add fresh mozz. cheese for a heartier salad.
2. In a serving bowl stir together the bread, the tomatoes, the cucumber, the onion, the oil, the vinegar, the basil, and salt and pepper to taste until the salad is combined well.
Serves 4 to 6.

I loved this. My 10 mo. son loved it. My 3 year old didn't spit it out which is a rave review from her. You have to eat it all fast or it gets gross.

No comments: