Thursday, August 24, 2006

Fig and Olive Sandwich Vinaigrette

The delicious Sandwich
DISH 23

As an experiment I've decided to eliminate mayonnaise from the fridge (It's not so good for me, I could make it on my own in a couple of minutes if I needed too) so, I've been looking around for some new things to spread on a sandwich.

I came across this, I was pretty skeptical at first 1. Because it was originally published in SELF magazine. In a fit of insanity I ordered a subscription to this rag last fall and I have learned to hate it. 2. Because olives and figs together just didn't sound so tasty.

I never used fig preserves before.

I made it and let it sit overnight, to ripen. Here is the recipe and the sandwich I made with it:

Smoked Turkey and Cheddar with Fig and Olive Spread
2 tbs. fig preserves
4 tsp cider vinegar
4 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
1 small clove garlic, peeled and minced
2 tbsp finely chopped kalamata olives
ciabatta load
8 oz smoked turkey breast, thinly sliced
4 oz sharp cheddar, thinly sliced
8 thin slices tomato
8 thin slices red onion

boston bib lettuce

Combine preserves, vinegar, oil, mustard, garlic, olives, and a pinch of salt and pepper. I used a tiny food processor/blender. Spread onto top and the bottom of split loaf. Layer lettuce, onions, tomatoes, turkey then cheese.
The tasty spread


Here is an alt sandwich to try:
Creamy Fig and Olive Grilled Ham (or Turkey) Sandwich
cream cheese
swiss cheese
fig/olive spread
turkey or ham
sliced farmers bread of a very hearty sliced whole grain
butter, pam or olive oil.

Spread layer of cream cheese on one side of one slice of bread, then turkey or hame, then swiss, then spread the fig/olive spread on the other slice, make sandwich, grill on med. until swiss cheese is melted.

Amazingly tasty. It is important to use a very crusty bread for the first sandwich. I've been thinking about this sandwich for 24 hours now. I miss it. I want another.

del.icio.us tags

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ideology corps misconduct ulecture stepchild turkeytitle fiber failures aligned bilaspur gated
servimundos melifermuly