Saturday, August 19, 2006

Citrus Basil Sorbet

DISH 16

I'm in the process of making it now. I bought more basil today at he farmers market. They are selling it like it is going out of style. Some of what was being sold was flowering already and from what I understand (my Mom always told me) that once it flowers it is past it's prime.

I also have an ice cream maker. I registered for it when I got married. That was 4 years ago and since I have only used it once. Testerday, when I was considering buying a pasta maker on ebay I thought of my poor neglected ice cream machine and thought I should put it to use first.

So here is how it went:

1/2 c. lime juice
2 lime peels
2/3 c. brown sugar or palm sugar
1/4 c. OJ concentrate
1 egg white
20 basil leaves
4 ice cubes

Heat up brown sugar, lime peel and water to make simple sugar. Maybe boil for a minute or two. Remove lime peel then chill syrup for a bit. Pour it in a blender ith OJ, ice and egg white and basil. Blend. Pour into ice cream maker.

It turned out wonderfully. It is also quite lovely. I'm really proud of myself!


No comments: