Friday, August 11, 2006

Huevos Rancheros

There are many versions of this, but the one I'm going with is from the Cafe Pongo Cookbook. Cafe Pongo was this great place (for a while) in Tivoli NY. My husband and I both went to Bard College which is the next town down and are very nostalgic about the food there. For his birthday a few years ago I got him the cookbook that was written by one of Pongo's former owners. The cookbook has some real gems in it. The red cabbage slaw, the chicken salad. . . a few others. It is pretty much a winter time food cookbook, so I'll be breaking it out more often when the weather gets cold. I remember the huevos were a very good breakfast. Esspecially if hungover I'm not expecting to be hungover, but just in case.

6 corn tortillas
2 cups of black beans (I a can of goya black bean soup w/ the red lable)
1 1/2 c. salsa
1/4 c. carmelized onions (Says to cook them for 30 minutes v. slowly)
4 oz. sharp cheddar
4-6 eggs
cilantro
bronwen's gaucamole

line bottom of pyrex dish with tortillas, cover with beans, then salsa, then cheese then onions. Cook at 350 until cheese is melted and browning. Top with fried eggs and chopped fresh cilantro.


Amazingly tasty. I served it with my sister guacamole. I love it. I'm making it once a week. The recipe calls for 35 minutes to cook the onions, which I did. It was very worth it. I used jarred salsa. It was fine. I made a second batch (without the eggs) that I froze for later.

No comments: