Saturday, August 05, 2006

Hoisin Chicken in Lettuce Leaves

I got this one from epicurious.com. I had something like it once when I accidentally went to Scottsdale AZ in July. It is pretty much the only thing I remember from the trip. My head was on fire most of the time I was there.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon finely chopped peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 scallions, chopped (1/4 cup)
2 skinless boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 lb total), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 c. chopped yellow sweet pepper or water chestnuts or snowpeas
1/4 cup bottled hoisin sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon rice vinegar (not seasoned)
1/2 cup chopped or crushed peanuts (2 1/2 oz)
12 large red- or green-leaf lettuce leaves -- I will use iceberg next time.

1.Heat a wok or a 12-inch heavy skillet (not nonstick) over moderately high heat until just smoking, then add oil. Add ginger, salt, and 2 tablespoons scallions and stir-fry until ginger is fragrant, about 45 seconds. Add chicken and stir-fry until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add water chestnuts, hoisin sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, and pine nuts and stir-fry until heated through, about 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons scallions.
2. scoop into lettuce and eat


This was good and easy and took about 4 seconds to make. It is not an entire meal. Maybe lunch or an app. Both my kids ate it. My husband said he "really really liked it!". But I think he was lying. Do not skip the peanuts.

No comments: