Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Serious Chocolate Ice Cream with Whole Coffee Beans

recipe #110

I was looking thru an ice cream cookbook from the 70s that my mother had and I found a recipe for coffee bean ice cream. I was really looking forward to trying it out until I read that the coffee beans soak overnight and then are strained out. The beans are tossed. I wanted ice cream with beans in, so I made this:

Serious Chocolate with Whole Coffee Beans Ice Cream:
1 c. sugar
1 c. water
handful of coffee beans
1 c. quality cocoa powder (I used some stuff I brought back from France last year)
2 egg yolks
2 c. heavy cream, whipped

milk if you need to thin it out a bit while stirring.

1. heat the sugar and water, when it starts to boil, throw in the coffee beans and boil for 2 minutes
2. remove from heat and add cocoa. blend. Add whole milk if you need to thin it a bit.
3. Add egg yolks and blend.
4. Allow to cool to room temp or colder. I sat mine on my fire escape in 40 degree weather for 30 minutes.
5. Fold in whipped heavy cream
6. Throw it in an ice cream maker for 20 minutes.


Serious ice cream. Do not eat if you want to sleep. Do not feed to children. . . or at least not children that you have to supervise.

If the crunching down on a whole coffee bean in your ice cream sounds bad, toss the beans in a grinder for 1 or 2 seconds. It will still give you some texture.

the kind of cocoa that I used

No comments: