Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Indian Sweet Potato Latkes with Curry Yogurt

this photo doesn't do these justice. They are a bright beautiful orange with spots of green

DISH 34
new things: tumeric


The idea of making this recipe actually prompted me to haul myself out of bed before my kids woke me. This is a even more amazing as I am still catching up on sleep lost at Burning Man and I had an ambien for dessert last night.

I was considering serving this with eggs, but thought I would jst start simple.

Here is how it goes:
Indian Sweet Potato Pancakes with Curry Yogurt
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 medium onion, peeled
6 large sweet potatoes peeled
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
6 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 tablespoons butter

1 cups plain yogurt (I used fat free and it was good)
2 teaspoons curry powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh lime juice, plus more to taste

Preheat oven to 200°F. Place 2 nonstick baking sheets in oven.

cook peas, drain and set aside

Coarsely grate potatoes and onion, add to colander, and set aside to drain.

In large mixing bowl, lightly beat eggs. Whisk in flour, coriander, turmeric, and cumin. Mix in ginger, cilantro, and peas.

Press potatoes and onion to extract as much liquid as possible, then add to bowl. Season mixture with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

In heavy-bottomed, large skillet over moderately high heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter until hot but not smoking. Drop 4 scant 1/4-cup portions of potato mixture into pan and flatten with spatula to form four 3-inch pancakes.

Fry until bottoms are golden-brown, 4 to 5 minutes, then turn over and fry until golden-brown and crisp, an additional 4 to 5 minutes. Keep warm on baking sheets in oven.

Wipe out pan. And 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter and fry 4 more pancakes. Repeat with remaining batter, wiping out pan and adding 1 tablespoon oil and 1 tablespoon butter before each batch.

mix together yogurt, lime juice and curry and serve with the pancakes.

Soooooo sooooo good. Next time I think that I will make them with eggs and maybe either a curry gravy or a peanut (thai-ish) sauce. I'll let you know how that works out.

So far, this is one of the most delicious things that I have made.

It's a 9.5 out of 10.


No comments: