Thursday, September 07, 2006

Hedgehogs with Grape Jam and Ketsup

kid food

DISH 36
If it isn't mac and cheese, just cheese or pb&j, my daughter won't touch it. She's 3. My son will eat anything that isn't nailed down, and if it is nailed down, he'll hunker down and suck on it. He's almost 11 mo.

I've decided that I should cook kid centric some of the time. I've always wanted to make chicken nuggets, so from my ancient Better Homes cookbook I found on the street a couple of weeks ago. Easy chicken nuggets. I called them hedgehogs because I thought it might trick my 3 yo. into trying them. I say chicken and forget it.

Here is the slightly modified recipe:
Hedghogs
preheat oven to 450
1 lb. chicken breast chopped into bit sized pieces
15 whole wheat crackers mashed up
panko (only because I'm trying to use it all up)
2 tbs. melted butter
2 tsp. worcestershire sauce
3 tbs. fresh grated romano or asiago cheese

dredge chicken in the butter worcestershire sauce mixture.

Put crushed crackers, panko and cheese into a zip lock bag. Put chicken pieces in the bag a few at a time to coat. Repeat. Set of baking sheet and cook for 9 minutes.


Serve with whatever dipping sauce your child likes. I found a combo or grape jam and catsup was a good one for the kids. I ate a few with BBQ sauce from Curtis's BBQ (Georgian style) mixed with some store bought sugary BBQ sauce.

No comments: