Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Grape Ape

The Grape Ape

DISH 35
Never used before: cremini mushrooms, pecorino toscano

Today I made a sandwich that I have been thinking about for months. The Grape Ape. Partially it is because I love the name, partially it is because it sounded so damn good.

I'm so not ashamed about how much I loved Top Chef. And early on Dave 'I'm-not-your-bitch, bitch' Martin became one of my favorites. He knew his junk food (like me), he had platinum blonde hair (like me most of the time) he would cry a lot (like me). He also invented what I thought would be one of my favorite dishes for the sandwich challenge in an episode of Top Chef. There are only 2 recipes from that challenge online. One from lame-ass Stephen (what was up with the tie, BTW?) and the other is the Grape Ape. I made it for a picnic we had this afternoon.

from tech to food is cool
The recipe is here

Really, really, I should have used sourdough. Dave knows what he is doing and by not using sourdough I didn't do the sandwich justice. Instead I used this huge and wonderful ciabatta bread I get at fairway. I love it, but it wasn't right. Other than that I followed the recipe to the letter. It was great. A little salty. It didn't mention adding any greens, but I might just do that next time. . . . and there will be a next time.

No comments: