Saturday, May 19, 2007

Here are some hilarious mistakes…



The lesson learned here is that you really should pay attention to the specified size of the cooking tin. This cake expands while cooking, then sinks back down as it cools, so if you make it in a pan that just fits the batter, it will all expand right out the top, then sink down so that you just have a very thin layer of chocolate goo left in the pan, and lots of chocolate stalagmites all around the tin.

On the up side, the stalagmites were really really tasty!

This was supposed to be for a bake sale at my son's playgroup school. Luckily, I had made some other things too (I'll post them soon).




This was my attempt to make marmite popcorn. I used to hate marmite with a passion, but then I tried the limited edition Guiness marmite (thanks cookbad!), and I became totally addicted. Now I want to figure out how to put it in everything. I actually got a marmite cookbook (some recipes coming soon). This was not from the book. I wanted some popcorn, and I wanted it to taste like marmite, so I tried to cook them together. Turns out Marmite becomes something akin to molten lava when cooked this way. There was so much smoke I had to put the pot outside in the backyard where it continued to make sizzling noises in the rain for about 5 or 10 min.

I managed to save the pot.

If anyone out there can tell me how to get marmite onto my popcorn, I would love to know.



This last one is not exactly a mistake, it’s just gross. I like to let my three year old take an active part in food choice and preparation. It’s great because it makes him more excited about food, but this was probably going a bit far. This is Peanut butter and jelly couscous. Here’s how it came up… “mommy, I love Peanut butter, and I love the red jelly and I love couscous. I want to make peanut butter and jelly and couscous on my plate please”. Actually he ate the whole bowl, so I guess you could call it a success, except for how it was gross.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I saw your blog while googling Marmite (looking for Marmite gift ideas). I am an American who lived in Australia and developed an addiction to Vegemite. When I moved back home, I couldn't find it, so ended up subbing Marmite in it's place. My hubby eventually got curious about it, tried it, and now he is beyond crazy for Marmite! I can get my Vegemite now, but he doesn't like it, so it is a bit of a battle of the yeast spreads in my house (there's always a few jars of each and the odd jar of Promite, too)! Anyway, I was thinking of attempting a Vegemite or Marmite popcorn, too, and I think I may have a decent method to try: Pop your corn first, then melt some butter or margarine and dissolve your vege/marmite in that and drizzle on top (or put your popcorn in a big bag, drizzle the marmite flavored butter in and shake to coat). I haven't tried it yet, but have big plans for giving it a try this weekend! I hope it works!