Saturday, December 29, 2007

Steak au poivre



1tbsp Black, mixed, or green peppercorns, crushed using a pestle and mortar
2 sirloin steaks, about 175g each, choose a steak with a nice marbling of fat through it
1tsp butter
2tbsp brandy
2tbsp red wine
2tbsp whipping cream

Press the crushed peppercorns into both sides of the steak, to coat it evenly.
Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat, and add the butter. When it is foaming, sprinkle the steaks with salt and put them in the pan. Cook for 2.5 minutes, then turn and cook for another 2.5 minutes on the other side for rare (add another minute each side for medium rare, 2 for medium).
Tip in the brandy, allowing it to bubble for a couple of minutes. Take out the steaks and rest on hot plates.
Add the wine to the pan, scraping to get up all the sticky, caramelized meat juices. Stir in the cream, bubble gently till thickened. If it separates and looks curdled, add a little bit of water and stir vigorously; it’ll come together nicely.
Serve the steaks on warm plates with the sauce spooned over and with chips on the side.

This was another from 101 Global Dishes. I have mixed feelings about this one. The sauce was lovely, but I felt that there was big flaw with the way it was written. It says “Cook for 2.5 minutes, then turn and cook for another 2.5 minutes on the other side for rare (add another minute each side for medium rare, 2 for medium).
Tip in the brandy, allowing it to bubble for a couple of minutes. Take out the steaks and rest on hot plates.”
I think that it meant to say that you should put the brandy in for the last couple of minutes of cooking, not cook then put in the brandy and cook for a few more minutes.

Unfortunately, I didn’t realize that, and my steaks were over cooked. I was hoping for rare, and there was no bit of pinkness anywhere in there.

That disappointed me really severely because we don’t buy good steaks like that very often, and to wind up eating it well done, was depressing.

Still, the sauce was good, and the coating was nice too. Enough pepper to give flavor and heat, but not crazy over the top (thought it looks like it would be).

I do recommend this recipe, as long as you heed my warning.

When it comes down to it, I think the real problem is that I’m not terribly good at cooking steaks. Sometimes it’s the simplest things, that can be real tough points. Don’t know why. I’m going to try again over the holiday. Wish me luck.

No comments: