Sunday, December 16, 2007

Pea and Tomato Curry


1 onion, chopped
root ginger, thumb sized piece
1 clove garlic
250g paneer, cut into chunks
oil for frying
2 tsp garam masala
½ tsp turmeric
a pinch of cayenne
4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
300ml vegetable stock
300g frozen peas, defrosted

Whiz the onion, ginger and garlic in a food processor until pureed. Fry the paneer in 2tsp of oil until golden brown. Scoop out. Fry the onion mix until fragrant, about 5 min. Stir in the spices, then the tomatoes and stock, and simmer for 10 minutes until thickened. Add the paneer and peas and cook for 5 min.
I got this recipe from Good Food 101 veggie Dishes.

It’s not like the mater paneer that you would get in an Indian restaurant. It’s got a much fresher cleaner taste to it. I have a sneaking suspicion that it is closer to actual Indian home coking, but I don’t know that for sure.

What I do know is that this was fast and easy and tasted really good. If you are out here in the uk, then you can get all these ingredients in most supermarkets, if you are in the US some of them might be harder to find (I don’t know about other places).

I served this with a little basmati rice, and it was really comforting and satisfying. I will make this again, it’s so easy and fast.

No comments: