Sunday, June 17, 2007

Last Minute Baked Apples


Right when I was about to make dinner, I decided that I was going to want dessert. I didn’t really have the time or inclination to make a big deal out of it, so I made these up…

Peel and core 4 apples and place in a dish that just holds them.
In a bowl mix together some chopped nuts and some chopped crystallized ginger. I decided after the fact that some raisins would have been really good here too. Add a good shake of ground cinnamon, and then enough honey to make it all come together like a sticky stuffing.
Fill the holes in the apples (where the core used to be) with the stuffing, and drizzle some more honey over the top of the apples. Pour in some red wine to come about halfway up the apples, and throw on a couple of dots of butter.
Cover and bake for about an hour at 180c/350f, but uncover for the last 10 - 15 minutes.

Not terribly original I know, but it was really good, and very satisfying. My husband mentioned that it would make a really nice Christmas dish. It definitely had that winter comfort feeling to it. The wine and honey make a beautiful sauce.

They were really quick to make too. I’d say it was about 5 minutes of prep (the nuts were already chopped), then they just cooked while we had dinner.

The boys weren’t terribly interested in theirs, which was ok, because my husband and I decided that since I used such small apples, two was just the right amount for each of us.

Next time, I will use larger apples, and put raisins in the stuffing.

No comments: