Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Cornish pasties and Potato Cheese and onion pasties

Cornish...

Potato Cheese and Onion


These were not wonderful, so I am not going to bother posting the recipes right now, but I did learn some stuff.

Firstly, I learned about lard. I’ve never cooked with it before, but the Cornish pasty recipe called for it (quite adamantly), and the other used vegetable shortening instead. In the end I have to say that they really tasted alike. In a blind test, I would not have been able to tell the difference. Good to know, because having a block of lard in the fridge was freaking my husband out a bit.

Also, I learned something new about pastry dough. I’m usually pretty good with dough, but for some reason I had the hardest time with both of these. I chalked it up to just being an off day, but learned a great trick. I was trying to roll it out, and it just wouldn’t cooperate at all. It was sticking and ripping and generally driving me mad. The fix is taking two sheets of cling film and putting one under the dough and one on top. After that, it rolled like a dream.

I also used the spice “mace” for the first time. It comes in blades, or in a powder and it seems to be the thing that gives Cornish pasties their flavor. I found it interesting, and now that I have some around, I’ll try to figure out what else it’s good for.

All in all, I learned some stuff, so making these was not a complete loss, but unfortunately it was the thing that I choose to make on my dad and stepmom’s last day here. It sucked that their last meal here was kind of a bust, but we all had fun trying them anyway.

No comments: