Friday, June 22, 2007

Hot Moroccan “Ginseng”



There isn’t actually any ginseng in it, that’s just what it’s called. It’s supposed to perk you up a bit, and/or warm you up on a chilly evening according to Sophie Grigson’s Sunshine Food.




30g/1oz caster or granulated sugar
1 mace blade
1 cinnamon stick
4 cloves
4 cardamom pods
2.5cm/1inch fresh root ginger, sliced
1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
6 allspice berries
300ml/10oz water
1 tsp lemon juice

Put all ingredients except lemon juice into a pan. Bring to a boil, stirring till the sugar dissolves. Simmer for 5-8 minutes, stir in the lemon juice, then pour through a tea strainer into two small glasses.

I wanted to try this for two reasons. One is that I like hot spiced drinks, the other is that I have some mace (the spice) in the house, and I was looking for things to use it in. I hadn’t quite made my mind up about it.

After making this, I have come to the decision that I don’t love mace. I find it very interesting, but it just doesn’t suit my palette. I had my husband smell the open jar and he said he liked the smell, but followed that by saying that it reminded him of new carpets.

I’d say if you like spice drinks, and you are open minded to new flavors (or you are familiar with mace and like it), then definitely try this one time. It is an interesting flavor. Personally though, in the future, I will probably just make chai tea when I want a spiced hot drink.

No comments: