Sunday, March 11, 2007

Huevos Rancheros Left-over style



So I still had a bit of stuff to use up. I had a bunch of tomatoes, some black beans, a bit of cooked pork rib meat, and some sour cream, so I decided to make my own version of huevos rancheros.

In one bowl, I chopped up a bunch of tomatoes (about three, or four, but they were small), and added some very finely chopped red onion. I love red onions, they are so much more versatile then regular ones. Also some chopped cilantro (coriander), and some minced garlic. All seasoned with some lime juice, salt and pepper.

Then I mashed up the black beans with my hands till they were about half mashed, but there weren’t really enough, so I added a can of some pink beans, and half mashed them too.

I greased a small pan with oil, and spread the beans on the bottom layer, then the left over pork rib meat (pulled into small pieces), then some grated cheese and the tomato mixture then some more cheese. Then cracked four eggs over the top. Baked at 180c/350f for about 20-25 minutes.

I served it with some jalapenos and sour cream on the side. I have no idea how close or far from traditional this recipe may be, but it was really good. I’m generally a sucker for anything with beans and cheese. The tomato mixture was nice, and would be a nice side for other dishes too.

No comments: