Saturday, March 10, 2007

Chocolate Espresso Torte

recipe # 202

This is my response to your Chocolate Cake, AteThat.

I hate posting recipes without pictures, but these disapperaed in the night before I got a chance to shoot them. And, as a made a terrible error, I will make them again, but this time make them right.

Chocolate Espresso Torte
4 oz. quality semi sweet chocolate
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1/2 cup of water
2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
1 cup of sugar
4 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350. Recipe calls for a 9 inch cake pan, but I made it in a cup cake tins and adjusted the time. Line either cake pan or muffin tin with plastic wrap (it will not melt). Melt chocolate and butter together, heat 1/2 cup water, add espresso, disolve.
Mix eggs and sugar until smooth, add chocolate mixture and espresso and mix on lowest mixer speed. Pour batter. This recipe will fill a regular 12 muffin tin.
bake for 45-55 minutes of a cake, bake for 35 if in tins.
Let cool for a bit, carefully unmold. I sifted some cocoa powder on top to make them look pretty.

I fucked up here. I used Earth Balance margarine instead of butter and deeply regret it. IT ruined the flavor. Consistincy was fine. Cooked okay. Tasted not good. Salty and almost, oddlt fishy. I used to eat this torte while in college. It was a wonderful truffle like piece of rocket fuel. I will make it again with butter. Too bad, but I had to try.

No comments: