Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Chai




1/2tsp black peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick (about 3 inches)
6 whole cloves
6 whole cardamom pods
1 piece fresh ginger (2inches), unpeeled and thinly sliced
Zest of 1 orange, removed in wide strips
4 bags of black tea, such as Darjeeling, Orange Pekoe, or English Breakfast
1 cup whole milk
1/3 cup sugar

Crush all the spices (not the zest).
Put the crushed spices and the zest in a pan with 3 cups of water, bring to a boil and reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and add the tea bags, let steep for 5 minutes.
Discard the tea bags, add the milk and sugar and bring to a simmer, stirring till the sugar dissolves. Strain and discard the solids, serve hot.


I used to get this at cafés in Brooklyn all the time, but I had never made it myself. This was so much better then the kind I used to get. The fresh ginger gave it this amazing bite, and the sugar sweetness made me want to just curl up and take a nap. I think this is a perfect drink for that one quiet moment amid the chaos.

I’m going to make this again, no question.

No comments: