Friday, March 02, 2007

Braised Pork with Potatoes and Olives

Hey Cookbad, I seem to be on a huge pork kick. I can't tell if it's because pork is so good, or cuz it's so cheap, but I think there will be a bunch of pork in the next few weeks...



2lb/900g shoulder of pork, cut into bite sized pieces
1lb/450g salad potatoes, halved if large
1.5oz/40g black olives
1.5oz/40g green olives
1lb/450g ripe red tomatoes
2tbsp olive oil
2 medium onions, peeled and sliced into half moon shapes
1 large red pepper, deseeded and sliced into 1&1/4 inch/3cm strips
2 cloves of garlic peeled and chopped
1 heaped tsp fresh thyme, chopped, plus a few small sprigs
10oz.275ml red wine
2 bay leaves
Salt and pepper

Preheat to 275f/140c

Pour boiling water over the tomatoes and leave for exactly 1 minute, then drain them and slip off their skins. Roughly chop them.

Heat 1 tbsp of the oil and brown the pork in batches, removing to a plate when done. Add the rest of the oil and fry the onions and peppers around 6 minutes. Add the garlic and stir around for a minute, then return the browned meat to the casserole and add all the thyme, tomatoes, red wine, olives, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, season well, cover with a lid and transfer to the oven. Cook for 1 & 1/4 hours, add the potatoes, and continue to cook for 45 more minutes, or until the potatoes are tender.

This one is Delia Smith, and oh my god it is so good you have no idea, YUM. This one was so well recieved that my youngest son (he'll be two in May) actually finished his whole plate of food before My husband and I even sat down. My husband asked that this one be put on a list of food to be made again and again.

It takes a long time to cook, but all the actual work of cooking is done up front, then it pretty much just sits in the oven. That's perfect for me because it means I can get the active part done while the boys are playing nicely, and then I can be around when needed during the dark hours before dinner, when crankyness reigns.

This one rocks!

No comments: