Saturday, January 05, 2008

Some small festive foods

For New Year’s eve, we thought it would be fun to make some festive little foods, and I found these here. They are all really easy to make.



Portable Caprese: Skewer a small ball of mozzarella, a grape tomato and a bit of basil leaf. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and drizzle with oil.

So simple, so basic, so lovely. I thought these were wonderful, and they were fun to put together too. The boys were able to help with these, and they enjoyed that a lot.



Marinated mushrooms: Cut button mushrooms into chunks and toss with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Let rest five minutes. Spear two chunks with a piece of Parmesan about the same size.

I didn’t do the last part with the parmesan cheese. I just used it as a recipe for extra quick marinated mushrooms. I also slightly changed it. I crushed up a small garlic clove to a paste, and mixed that in with the oil and lemon, salt and pepper, and I used Chestnut mushrooms instead of button. They are similiar, but just a bit more flavorful. It was great. It was super quick, and the flavor was excellent. These would be nice to serve as a light side with a lunch, or to bring along on a picnic. I’m sure I’ll be doing this again.



Cucumber and caviar: Take 3/4-inch-thick slices of cucumber. (The quality of the cuke is more important than that of the caviar; it has to be good enough to leave the skin on.) Scoop out most of the seeds, leaving the bottom of each slice intact. Fill it with a spoonful of yogurt, sour cream or crème fraîche mixed with dill, and top with caviar or salmon roe.

These were really fun to make. I enjoyed scooping out the little cucumber cups, but all in all I found it a little disappointing. To be honest I’m not exactly sure what went wrong, it was probably the incredibly cheap and sub standard caviar that I used. The flavor of it got completely washed out by the dill, sour cream and cucumber. It wasn’t that it was bad, it just seemed like a waste. If you are going to do this one, I would make sure your caviar is fairly good quality, or just skip it completely and make them as little cucumber dill snacks.

No comments: