Friday, January 18, 2008

Herb butter



7 anchovies
handful of fresh rosemary
3 cloves of garlic
pack of butter (250g)

All into the food processor and blended till it is totally smooth.

Scoop out onto some cling film, in a long tube shape, roll up, and freeze. Use as and when you need it.

This was from a Jamie Oliver tv show. It’s really handy to do, because it only takes a few minutes, and then you can keep it around for any time you want to add more flavor to something you are cooking. I used it (as he suggested), to cook some greens the other day. I tend to fall back on the same way to cook greens again and again. I sauté a little garlic, throw in the greens till wilted, add a touch of lemon juice. Now don’t get me wrong. I love greens made this way, but it’s nice to vary it a bit now and then. Jamie’s tips were to use this flavored butter, and also that you can use balsamic vinegar in place of the lemon juice.

I tried it and it was wonderful, and with the butter made up in advance, it took no time at all and was so full of flavor. I think it will come in handy for a lot of things, but even if I only use it for this, it would be worth having.

No comments: