Monday, July 09, 2007

Millet


So I’m not really re-inventing the wheel tonight, but I haven’t ever tried Millet seed before, much less made it, so I thought I’d blog the experience.

We eat a lot of couscous in this house, it’s one of my older son’s absolute favorites. With that in mind, I thought I would branch out a bit. Millet cooks a lot like rice. I just followed the instructions on the bag. Boil 250g in 600ml water or stock for 20-30 minutes, till all the liquid is absorbed, then let it sit covered for another 10 min, then fluff with a fork.

Really simple to make, though it’s not fast like couscous. It was a bit more coarse too, but that was kind of nice. My husband and I agreed that it has a nice texture. My sons didn’t notice that it wasn’t couscous.

I served it with left over beef casserole and it was great for gravy dishes, and from what I understand, it’s pretty healthy stuff.

I will definitely eat it again.

No comments: