Saturday, April 28, 2007

Spiced Dough Balls

Everything is kind of suck-y lately, but I'll have good stuff tomorrow, I promise.



100g butter, softened
150g mature cheddar, grated
150g self-raising flour
1 rounded tsp mustard powder
freshly ground black pepper
Pinch sea salt
2 medium eggs, beaten

Beat together the softened butter and the grated cheese until well blended. Add all the dry ingredients and mix well.
Gradually add the eggs to form a dough, and roll into marble sized balls using floured hands. If the dough seems too wet, just add a little more flour.
Place on a greased baking tray and bake for 10-15 min at 180c/350f

These were from a funny novelty cookbook called The Colman’s Mustard Cookbook (it’s all recipes with mustard). I’m definitely not giving up on this book, because it has some really good looking recipes in it. This just wasn’t a great one to start with. They were ok, but I was expecting them to have more of a kick. They were basically just dough-y balls with the after taste of mustard.

I might try to make them again someday with better cheese, and more mustard, and without the image of pizza shop dough balls in my mind, because that’s a completely different kind of dough and I know that I just couldn’t help wanting them to be that anyway.

No comments: