Monday, April 30, 2007

Ginger Rice Salad

This doesn’t look like much, but it was really wonderful



1 large green apple
1/4 cup chopped crystallized ginger
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp curry powder
Salt and pepper
Slices of lemon and paprika for garnish

Peel, core and dice the apple, place all ingredients in a bowl , and mix together. Adjust seasoning if necessary, and chill.

I got this from a book called The Vegetarian Cookbook by Anna Lee. I picked it up at a thrift store for one pound because I was fascinated by how utterly and completely outdated it was, but also with the understanding that every cookbook seems to have at least one good recipe in it. This was it. This actually made me want to try other recipes from it’s so-seventies-it-hurts selection.

We took this with us for a picnic lunch, and it was filling, but light and had a great mix of flavors. The dressing has curry powder like in a Waldorf salad, so it matches up well with the sweetness of the apple, and the sweet/hot of the crystallized ginger, and it all took away from the harshness that brown rice can sometimes have. I’m making some later for my husband to take to work for lunch, and I’m going to try using yogurt (we get the super thick Greek style) instead of mayo. I think it will work just as well.

Good stuff! Go Seventies!

1 comment:

CookBad said...

All these salads you've been making look so good. I'm going to make all of them.