Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Banana maple walnut muffins

"Nuffins" are my three year old's favorite.



Butter, for greasing the muffin cups (unless using liners)
2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (not regular whole wheat flour)
1&1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1&1/2 cups mashed, very ripe bananas (about 4)
3/4 cup chopped walnuts




Preheat to 375f, and butter or line your cupcake tin
Place the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Place the eggs, maple syrup, brown sugar, milk, oil, and vanilla in a medium sized bowl and whisk to combine. Add bananas, and stir to combine.
Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture, and stir till just combined. Fold in the walnuts. Do Not Over mix.
Fill the muffin cups almost to the top. Bake 20 – 30 minutes using the toothpick test. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.

Well, I think I finally cracked it. I’ve had some trouble in the past with the muffins. Historically, they don’t rise very well, and the texture is a bit off. These, however, came out lovely, tall, and ever so tasty.

I got these from the book Food to Live By. Another home run for this book. We all loved these.

2 comments:

Jacqueline said...

i love reading your blog. it sounds like so much fun trying out recipes and stuff. and i love that you guys are so adventurous with various different flours and vegan foods. i was wondering if i don't use bananas in this muffin (i just hate them) and substitute them instead of blueberries, will the mixture be too dry?

AteThat said...

I'm so glad you like the blog!

As for the muffins, to be honest, I'm really not sure. I know that blueberry muffins tend to have more sugar then banana ones do, so you might need to adjust that, but I bet it would work. If I were you I would puree the blueberries first (leave some whole too for texture).

If you try it, let me know how it comes out.