Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Spiced Pumpkin Tart with Stem Ginger Cream



For the pumpkin tart:
1 pack dessert pastry, rolled to 5mm thick
500g pumpkin, cut into large chunks
2 eggs
100g caster sugar
50g ground almonds
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
200ml single cream

For the stem ginger
200ml double cream
3Tbsp stem ginger syrup
25g stem ginger, finely chopped

Preheat to 190c
Line a 9inch tart tin with the pastry, line with cling film and baking beans or rice
Place on a baking sheet and place in the oven for 15 min.
Remove the cling film and baking beans, and return to the oven for a further 10 min to crisp the base of the case.
Meanwhile steam the pumpkin for 15-20 min till tender
Remove from the steamer and cool.
Place the cool pumpkin in a food processor, and blend to a puree.
Place the eggs and sugar in a large bowl and whisk to combine.
Add the ground almonds, spices, and cream, and whisk until smooth
Add the pureed pumpkin, and mix once more
Pour into the pastry case, and place in the oven for 40-45 min, until set
Remove from the oven and cool for at least an hour.
To make the stem ginger cream, place the cream, syrup, and ginger in a bowl and whisk until soft peaks are formed
To serve, cut a slice of tart and place on a plate with a spoonful of the cream, a dusting of icing sugar, and a sprig of mint.

This is from The Saturday Kitchen Cookbook. This is the second recipe that I’ve tried from this one, and It’s the second one that I have liked. This looks to be a fun book.

I made this on Thanksgiving, so as not to let the day go by without anything special. I made my own crust, because I like to, but store bought pastry is fine. Also, I used butternut squash, because I couldn’t find any pumpkins. It works just as well. Tastes just like pumpkin once it’s all prepared.

The boys helped me make the pie too. They had a great time helping with the mixing and the measuring and the pouring. They get very excited about pie.

It came out great. It tasted perfectly pumpkin pie-y. My youngest was totally and completely enthralled by it. Butternut squash is one of his all time favorite foods, so a dessert squash pie, well, let’s just say he had many pieces. I loved the pie, and the cream too. The cream was amazing. I want to eat that ginger cream on all my desserts, I want that cream for dessert, I could just eat it with a spoon. If you make this pie, make the cream too!!!!

1 comment:

Carson Reed said...

Thhanks for the post