Monday, November 26, 2007

Braised Chicken with lemon, honey and Shepard’s salad with feta



1Tbsp olive oil
1.6kg chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1 red onion, sliced
12 cloves of garlic, peeled but left whole
1 lemon, cut into chunks
175ml chicken stock
125g honey
1 small handful of fresh oregano leaves

For the Salad
400g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
150g feta cheese, crumbled
1 small handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
2 small cucumbers, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
50g black olives, halved and pitted
3tbsp olive oil
1Tbsp lemon juice
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Heat a large frying pan over high heat, add the oil and chicken, and cook for 5 min till golden
Remove and set aside
Reduce the heat to medium high, add the onion, and cook for 1 min. Return the chicken to the pan, with the lemon, chicken stock, and honey, reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer for 20 min, or until the chicken is cooked through.
Lift out the chicken and put on a baking tray.
Increase the heat under the sauce and simmer, uncovered, for another 15 min to thicken
Place the chicken under a hot grill for 5 min until crisp.
Arrange the chicken on a platter, drizzle with the sauce and sprinkle with oregano.
To make the salad, gently mix together the chickpeas, feta, parsley, cucumber, green pepper and olives in a large bowl.
Whisk the olive oil and lemon juice together and season with salt and pepper.
Toss the salad with the dressing

This was very tasty, but I have one word of warning. Be careful while you are reducing the sauce. Mine took far less then the 15 min in the recipe, and I burned it just a tiny bit after only about 5 min because I wasn’t paying as much attention as I should have been.

Still, it was a really good dish. Not too difficult, the sauce went really well with the chicken, and I loved, loved, loved the salad.

This is from The Saturday Kitchen Cookbook. It’s interesting. It’s based on a tv cooking show, so it has a wide variety of recipes, because it tailors it’s self to all the guests on the show, as opposed to any one style. I liked this recipe, and I will definitely try more.

4 comments:

digkv said...

I've never braised anything before and this looks delicious: I think I'm going to try it. Thanks for the recipe. Also, I just wanted to say that your blog sort of inspired me to start my own food blog. Thanks for the inspiration.

AteThat said...

That's so cool. What's your food blog? I'd love to check it out.

digkv said...

Thank you. My blog is: digkv89.blogspot.com There's not much on it as of now.

Leanne said...

Thoughtful blog you have here