Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Turkey with pickles and dill

Bad picture, good food.




5 anchovy fillets
2 Tbsp olive oil
3 small turkey breast fillets (approx 400g total weight), beaten as thinly as possible, each fillet then cut in half
2 Tbsp vermouth
2 gherkins, finely chopped
2 Tbsp fresh dill

Heat the anchovy fillets and oil in a large, heavy based frying pan, stirring with a wooden spoon until the fillets begin to melt in the pan
Flash fry the turkey in the same pan, cooking a couple of minutes on each side. Remove the meat to a warm serving plate.
Add the vermouth and chopped gherkins, and let the liquid reduce and sizzle for a minute or so.
Pour over the plated turkey and sprinkle with the chopped dill

This is one of the super quick recipes from Nigella Express.

I don’t do a lot of cooking with turkey, and I love gherkins, so I figured I’d give this one a try.

As far as quickness and ease of preparation I have to say, this is amazing. I did the little bit of chopping in advance, just the pickles and such. Which was a good thing, because my youngest had a total episode right when it came time to make dinner. He was having a high need evening, and would not stand for being put down. This was so easy to make that I was able to do it while holding a very heavy, very cranky two year old, and with minimal outside help. How handy is that?

In addition, it was really good! The smell of fresh dill alone is a good reason to make this, and although the idea of a pickle sauce seems a bit weird, it actually comes out really beautifully and not at all over the top.

I am surely going to make this again.

No comments: