Wednesday, October 03, 2007

New Orleans Cole Slaw



1 head of white or savoy cabbage about 1 kg before trimming
2 carrots
2 sticks celery
4 spring onions
200g best-quality store bought mayonnaise
4 Tbsp buttermilk
2 Tbsp maple syrup
2 tsp apple or cider vinegar
100g pecans, fairly finely chopped
Salt and pepper to taste

Trim and shred the cabbage
Peel and grate the carrots, and finely slice the celery and spring onions
Whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, maple syrup, and vinegar, and coat the vegetables with it
Season and toss through the chopped nuts.

This is so good. I was never a huge coleslaw fan, but when you are in the mood for it, it can be really satisfying. I figured it couldn’t hurt to know how to make a good one. I tried a couple of recipes that looked nice, and this one was my favorite. It had a sweet creaminess to it that worked really nicely with the pecans. I tried another cole slaw recipe after this one, but it was pointless, my heart already belonged to the New Orleans Cole Slaw. Try this one, it’s from Nigella Express, you’ll see what I mean.

1 comment:

transex milano said...

Very worthwhile data, thank you for your article.